Friday, March 5, 2010

The Way of the Cross - Station 5

Priest: The fifth station - Simon the Cyrenean helps Jesus carry His Cross

Genuflect

Priest: We adore Thee, O Christ, and we bless Thee.

People: Because by Thy Holy Cross Thou hast redeemed the world.

Stand

Priest: Consider how the Roman soldiers, seeing that at each step Jesus was on the point of expiring, and thinking He might die on the way, when they had been ordered that He die the ignominious death of the Cross, constrained Simon the Cyrenean to carry the Cross behind our Lord.

Kneel

People: My most sweet Jesus, I will not refuse the Cross, as the Cyrenean did; I accept it, I embrace it. I accept in particular the death Thou hast destined for me, with all the pains that may accompany it; I unite it to Thy death, I offer it to Thee. Thou hast died for love of me; I will die for love of Thee, and to please Thee. Help me by Thy grace. I love Thee, Jesus my Love; I repent of having offended Thee. Never permit me to offend Thee again. Grant that I may love Thee; and then do with me what Thou wilt.

Our Father . . . Hail Mary . . . Glory Be . . .

Priest: Lord, Jesus crucified!
People: Have mercy on us!

Stand

Can the human heart refrain
From partaking in that pain,
In that Mother's pain untold?

or

Quis non posset contristari
Christi Matrem contemplari
Dolentem cum Filio?

The cross bearer and acolytes proceed to the sixth station.

No comments:

Post a Comment