Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Viva il Papa!

Some thoughts:

I'm rather surprised at my own reaction to the election of Jorge Cardinal Bergoglio.  It's part "Hooray!" and part "Ho, hum."  Of course I'm pleased that we have a new pope, and very pleased that he appears to be a simple and holy man.  On the other hand, when I was a kid, Pius XII was pope and had "always" been pope (just like Eisenhower had "always" been president), so Francis is the seventh pope of my lifetime.

I wonder if anyone is alive who remembers Pope Pius XI.

I'm having trouble keeping his surname in my head (but of course I don't have to anymore).  I keep wanting to say "Cardinal Bongiorno."  Maybe there's something mystical in that.

I see on another blog that VP Joe Biden is going to go to Rome for the installation Mass.  Now it would surprise me very much if Pope Francis doesn't know that Biden is about as pro-abort as they come.  I wonder if Biden will present himself for Communion or have the good sense not to.  I can just see the mainstream media exploding in anger if Biden tried to receive and is refused.

No comments:

Post a Comment