Tuesday, July 12, 2011

An Act of Humility

(I found this in an old, well-thumbed prayer book, Imprimatur 1914, published about 1923.)

O GOD of sanctity ! who am I, that Thou shouldst come to me ? " The heavens are not pure in Thy sight, " and wilt thou dwell in my heart ? " Lord! I am not worthy that Thou shouldst come under my roof. " The consciousness of my unworthiness would prompt me to exclaim : "Depart from me, O Lord ! for I am a sinner. " But oh, the wonderful condescension of Thy love ! Thy pressing invitation encourages me, and dispels my fears. " Here I am, for Thou didst call me. " Come, then, O Jesus ! take possession of a heart that wishes to belong to Thee. " Behold ! They that go far from Thee shall perish. " But, O my God ! this house of my heart is too narrow for Thee : do Thou enlarge it ; it is falling to ruin : do thou repair it ; it has been defiled my sin : do Thou cleanse and purify it. " Look Thou upon me and have mercy on me. Oh, heal my soul, for I have sinned against Thee ! Let Thy tender mercies come unto me, and I shall live ! Lord ! I am not worthy that Thou shouldst enter under my roof ; say but the word, and my soul shall be healed. "

No comments:

Post a Comment